Monday, August 23, 2010

Observations from a Sunday in Addis

I actually tried writing this last night, but for some reason the text of the blog didn't actually publish. And maybe that's for the better- maybe this needs some more thought.

Yesterday was the first time I need time to unwind and actually process the day. It started off with an Ethiopian mass, a traditional coffee ceremony (pictures to come), followed by a lively and powerful worship service in town. Josh went running and sprained his ankle (something we're watching closely), but then met both Surafel and me at the Hilton. Unfortunately, our appointment had the incorrect time, but that actually turned out for the best. It gave us the time to snag some lunch at a local place and then explore the market a bit.

When I stepped out of the taxi into the market, it was the first time I felt that I had to clutch my bag. Beggars literally swarmed around us. And it didn't help that I was the only blonde white girl standing next to the only 6 foot muscleman white dude. Because of his previous time in sub-Saharan Africa, Josh is a bit more accustomed to the children beggars- the street kids. He explained that turning them down never gets easy, but turning them down does not enforce this lifestyle of handouts. Hard truth, but truth nonetheless. Most kids come up to you and ask for "1 burr for bread" or just flat out say "Money!", but Betsy- one of the girls who followed us throughout our time in the market had a different approach. She understood that relationships often lead to favors. So rather than just asking me for money, she walked with us, demonstrated how she knew English, sang for me, and then, right as we were about to leave, she told me how her parents had both died from HIV (her words, not mine) and how her grandmother beats her. And then, without missing a beat, she asked "1 burr for bread?" As I got in the taxi, my heart sunk. Not because the story was sad, but rather that the likelihood of this story actually being true was remarkably low. This is what poverty does to children.

We walked around a bit for the remainder of the afternoon, stopping to chat with the locals (Josh is really good at this), and even visited an orphanage that is nearby to where we are staying. The children we met there were happy, eager to sing us American songs, and even more eager for the hugs we gave that lasted just a little longer than normal. I took all that we observed and walked back to Don Bosco, a bit perplexed. Seeing urban poverty like this almost demanded that I ask some serious questions. I asked questions of impact, of purpose. I've not yet come to any radical conclusions, but after speaking with Surafel and processing the rest of Sunday, I've noted a few things and ask that you, readers, post your thoughts.  I am still very new to all of this and seek the wisdom of those who have been here longer.

1. Effective development demands so much more than anecdotes and even hard numbers- though both are important. It requires that both those supporting through donations and those actually implementing pay close attention to the unromantic reality of the people we work with. We have to listen and be absolutely willing to accept that what we are doing- and how we are doing- may not be what the people need and how the people need it.

2. Food, water, and the tangible things we provide for those who need it are by no means enough. Betsy, for example, didn't just need money for bread. If we have any understanding about the whole person, we know that Betsy needs a home, unconditional love, and a stable sense that her very identity is accepted, delighted in and cherished. Why do you think the hugs and games were of such value for the orphans we visited? As Surafel said to me yesterday- We must do more than provide for physical needs- we must show them Christ.

I finished off Sunday with a random dinner of enjera and chickpeas, followed by time with the Fathers and concluded with about an hour of singing and praying alone in the chapel. There is much to be done, yes, and I am even more confident after seeing what I have seen in these few days that making progress is truly only by God's grace through good work. 

Soon to come- notes on today.

Until next time,

ACW

1 comment:

  1. ACW--Great to hear of your adventures in Ethiopia, but sorry to hear about the stomach issues. I've definitely wished for the comforts of mom when I was sick in Kenya. I'll be sending prayers your way.

    It's quite perfect timing that I'm reading your reflections about providing not only physical nourishment, but spiritual nourishment as well. I'm reading The Hole in Our Gospel, written by World Vision President Richard Stearn. I'm just getting started but it discusses the disconnect between sharing the gospel, and actually loving people through our works. I think Surafel hits the nail on the head, "we must show them Christ." We can do this through our actions, so that addressing needs becomes a completely encompassing, satisfying and effective experience. Of course there will always be challenges, and times you must face difficult situations, ask difficult questions, and be okay with not knowing all the answers at once. I look forward to reading and learning more.

    Until next time...

    Laura Knudson

    ReplyDelete